04 July 2006

I Am Fortunate

Why?

From a personal standpoint:

I have a great family. My wife and son povide me with no shortage of love, happiness, and support. My mother is always there when I need her.

I have wonderful friends, both locally and abroad. No matter the distance, I can always count on them for advice, information, or a friendly chat.

I've got a good job. I don't make six figures a year, but I'm still able to afford little luxuries here and there; a show, a nice dinner out, an iced latte at the coffee shop.

From a professional standpoint:

I am fortunate to have the opportunity to work with many gifted authors and designers on projects (and products) that I believe in.

I have been able to write for some great game companies, such as (in no specific or particular order) Green Ronin, the Game Mechanics, Wizards of the Coast, Fantasy Flight Games, Black Industries, and Silverthorne Games. These companies are all top notch, they pay on time, and they support their freelancers.

Most of all, I've been able to create a small niche for myself in an industry that has been a part of my life, in one form or another, since I was in grade school.

The reason I'm posting this is because it's easy for me to lose sight of the fundamental things that make my day to day existence enjoyable and interesting. Life isn't all fun and games, and I get distracted by the daily worries that haunt us all: bills, taxes, traffic, world affairs, politics (God forbid), aches, pains, and age.

Wait...it's Independence Day, not Thanksgiving...

No comments: