04 March 2008

E. Gary Gygax, RIP

I haven't posted in a while. It's somewhat of a downer that my first post in I don't know how long is to mention the passing of Gary Gygax.

Most gamers know who Gary Gygax is. He's one of the hobby's pioneers, and he was loved and respected by many people. I never met him, though I walked past him on the convention floor a couple of times. I'm a relatively shy guy, and I hate being a pest, so I never bothered him. In retrospect, I wish I had. I had the opportunity to correspond with him in email late last year (after GenCon), and given that overture I might have introduced myself to him the next time our paths crossed. It looks like that won't happen again; at least, not any time soon.

The news is still coming in, and all the relevant forums are very slow at the moment. Take a moment to reflect on Gary, and the contributions he made to our hobby.

No comments: